Over the past weeks we have all been processing the Covid-19 crisis, while at the same time trying to work in new circumstances, and to support loved ones and others in the community to manage as best as possible. We are also mindful of the most vulnerable in our society, and with many traditional services being suspended, people with dementia and their families and carers will need our support more than ever.
A recent survey conducted by the Alzheimer Society of Ireland with people with dementia, carers, dementia advisors and community champions highlighted the challenges people face and the need for alternative practical and emotional support. With changes now occurring on a daily basis, organisations and communities are finding new, more flexible ways of delivering supports and information.
Activities and Resources for people with dementia, families and carers
- Emma O’Brien, OT at the Memory Technology Resource Room compiled the “Home Activities” booklet with wonderful ideas for everyday activities and a list of useful websites and apps
- The amount of Covid-19 related information in the media can sometimes be confusing. Members of 4 dementia specific organisations have compiled a selection of relevant and reliable resources for people with dementia, families and carers and grouped these into themes so that information and helplines can be found easily (see below). This will be updated regularly.
Government resources and community supports
- Local Authority Community Response Forum
In response to the Covid – 19 pandemic, a Local Authority Community Response Forum has been established in each local authority area. The Forum consists of the HSE, the council, county champions, An Post, Community Welfare Service, An Garda Síochána, other State organisations, charities and stakeholders.
They will lead the co-ordination of Covid – 19 community supports and resilience in each area and will provide the following services:
- Collection & Delivery – Food, essential household items, fuel, medication in line with guidance
- Transport to Community testing centres, Clinical Assessment Hubs, GP and hospital appointments
- Social isolation, supports, engagement
- Meals and their delivery
- Other medical/health needs
Helplines for each area can be found here https://www2.hse.ie/services/community-support-coronavirus/community-support-coronavirus.html
- HSE resources on Covid -19
There are many helpful up to date resources such as videos and posters on Covid – 19 and related topics, such as these
- Covid – 19 information in an easy-read and audio version
- Hand-washing videos
- Posters on cocooning, social isolation, at risk groups
- National Adult Literacy Agency (NALA)
NALA has compiled a list of words about Covid – 19 with plain English explanations.
We are also posting social media messages on our facebook page around the most relevant themes, such as cocooning, supports and services and mental health