Finish the story to enter this year’s Summer Stars short story competition!
This year we are moving online. As well as enjoying all the amazing worlds you visit when reading books, Summer Stars is celebrating your imagination by running a short story competition.
This year, as well as enjoying the all the amazing worlds you visit when reading books, Summer Stars is celebrating your imagination by running a short story competition. The competition is open to 6-18 year olds living in the Republic of Ireland – of course 6 year olds won’t be competing against teenagers! There are three age categories: age 6-9, age 10-14, age 15-18.
To enter, write a story using the following opening line:
Of all the places in the world, I never thought I would be here.
There will be 15 finalists in each category and one national winner from each category.
Each category winner will receive a Tablet.
Each finalist in all categories will receive a €50 voucher.
That’s a lot of great prizes and a lot of chances to win so let your imagination fly and start writing today!
Terms & Conditions
- This competition is open to children living in the Republic of Ireland.
- There are three categories: Age 6-9, Age 10-14, Age 15-18.
- Stories may be written in Irish or in English.
- Stories must use the following opening line:
Of all the places in the world, I never thought I would be here…
- Stories must be no longer than 500 words.
- The competition is open for entries from 14th June to 31st August.
- Entrants can submit as many stories as they wish.
- All entries to be submitted in digital copy (e.g. Word, PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 31st August. Hard copies will not be eligible.
- In the email, entrants must include:NAME
NAME OF LOCAL LIBRARY SERVICE.This information will only be available to the Libraries Ireland, LGMA team. This information and the competition entry itself will only be kept for the duration of the competition.
- Please use ‘Summer Stars Story’ as the subject line of the email.
- Entries must the original and unpublished work of the entrant.
- The entrant’s name mustnot appear anywhere in the text of the story as judging will be anonymous.
- There will be no correspondence with the judging panel and no feedback provided to individual entrants.
- There will be two rounds of judging for each category. In Round One, stories will be shortlisted and 15 will be selected to go through to the national judging final. In Round Two, a national winner will be selected from each category.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- The winning and finalist entries from each category will be uploaded to Libraries Ireland and the winner’s local public library website.
Public libraries are calling on all 6 – 18 year olds to write a story, no more than 500 words, on An Unexpected Adventure. There are three age categories: age 6-9, age 10-14, age 15-18. ✏️
There will be 15 finalists and one national winner in each category. Each winner will receive a tablet and each finalist will receive a €50 voucher. That’s a lot of great prizes and a lot of chances to win!🎁
All entries to be submitted in digital copy to email@example.com by 5pm on 31st August.
Let your imagination take you on an unexpected adventure and start writing today.
See here: https://www.librariesireland.ie/services/right-to-read/summer-stars/of-all-the-places-in-the-world-i-never-thought-i-would-be-here